1. My father and I go to Ikea on Thursday. At first, the bedside tables have a tag of where to pick them up downstairs, but then a different display model says we have to see a representative to order for furniture pick-up instead, so we do.
2. We wait for over an hour at furniture pick-up, so by the time we get the boxes, we don't bother to check the boxes (since there are a lot of other items as well) to make sure we received the bedside tables as well.
3. Friday. I put together one of the dressers, and in the evening when Sam comes home, we move the rest of the numerous Ikea boxes into their respective rooms so that we can put together the sofa and TV stand in the living room. I wake up in the middle of the night and realize we only moved one box into the bedroom - the second dresser - and not the two boxes for the bedside tables.
4. Saturday morning. I call Ikea customer service and they say things like this happen all the time and we have to come in to the store and see someone at the furniture pick-up window to sort it out.
5. Saturday afternoon. ~3pm. Carless, Sam and I head to the Port Authority after a leisurely brunch with my friend L. to catch the free bus to Ikea. We find out that the bus stops running out there at 2:30. We instead go to Macy's, where we have lots of store credit from returning some china (we only received 3 place settings:( ) and take advantage of the 10% discount they gave us to stock up on luggage, towels and the random kitchen items we still need. We feel semi productive regardless of our Ikea failure.
6. Sunday. We head to Ikea on time, with a couple items to return as well. We get there, grab a number at customer service, and soon realize that I had removed the receipt with the Macy's receipts when I was emptying my purse that morning. We ask a helpful looking staff person what we should do, and she gets them to print up a new receipt. We return our stuff and go to the furniture pick up window to see about our missing items. They send us back to customer service. We go, only to find out that without the ORIGINAL receipt, they can't help us. Making us wonder what's the use of computers if they don't store all this inventory info!
Now lets see if next Saturday, Sam will be successful in our quest.
So we've finally moved everything out of the old apartment, made a mega trip to Ikea, and traded some furniture with my brother (who has taken up residence in my old apartment, filled with the furniture I left behind when I headed out west).
Hopefully, we'll have the furniture assembled by the time I head to San Francisco on Wednesday to start my new job.
Below are some photos from moving day, and there are some photos from the wedding taken by my aunt up on Flickr for your sneak preview.
The result of two cats and not enough cleaning under the couch.
Maddie hiding from the movers. She thinks she's invisible.
Paris hiding from the movers. She thinks she's invisible too.
Thailand was great, though I'm way too busy to write about it now. Some of you may have noticed that I put up half the photos (the film is still waiting to be developed) on Flickr. I started writing titles and such, but more important things have come up. Like packing to move in less than 8 hrs.
Our new apartment is great! I can't wait to be settled there. Unfortunately, I don't know when we'll get internet service hooked up there, so it may be a few days before things get back to normal. Of course, then I'm off to SF and I still need to find an apartment.....
Oh, and we haven't gotten the wedding photos back yet, so y'all will have to wait a bit longer.